Wordy Birdies

Howdy everyone,

So the letter project continues! This time, I had two snazzy letters to send, one to N and a second to KE, a new SCBWI friend from this year's LA Conference.

I was feeling craftsy, so I decided to play around with some paper and fabric. For the card itself, I cut apart a couple of old brown postcards and then wove the strips together to make a nest. Then I added a couple of birds and a few eggs. When I finished, admittedly it looked pretty snazzy, but the eggs seemed rather naked. Since my nest was woven from a bunch of hacked up letters, I decided to add a few bird-inspired quotes - among others, the poetic, the irreverent, and the ridiculous. Finally, I glued the whole mess onto a card, making sure that all the parts and pieces were still mobile.


Wordy birdy -

"I realized that if I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."
~Charles Lindburgh

Two of them!


"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
~John Benfield

Moving pieces!

"I rejoice that there are owls... they represent the stark twilight and unsatisfied thoughts which all have." ~Henry David Thoreau


"Alone and warming his five wits, the white owl in the belfry sits."
~Lord Alfred Tennyson 


 "When birds burp, it must taste like bugs."
~(Calvin) Bill Waterson


"My favorite weather is bird-chirping weather."
~Loire Hartwould

2 comments:

mr. pants said...

I LOVE this. genius. amazing. wowzers

Allison Shapp said...

I'm thinking of moving away so I can get letters from you.

Post a Comment

Thoughts, profundities, absurdities, random-tangents, non-sequiturs: