Three Panel Project

Marshall's class has been all kinds of awesome. We've really been examining the art of storytelling from all different angles. After the puppy project, we worked on a combined oral-visual project. Each student was required to stand up in front of the class and tell a story (a true one) and make an image that would illustrate the story. I told my class the story of the Great Manhattan Couch Adventure of '08... and true to my very first Nonsense post, this is one of those not-so-great pieces that I promised.


When I first finished the illustration, I was fairly pleased with the image and characters. The crit for this was really rough, and looking at it after two and a half months of school... in short... oy! Of the not-so-great sort... So moving on...

After the oral-visual storytelling project, Marshall challenged us to tell a simple story in three panels with no text, no words, and no explanations.

I wracked my brains for an idea, trying to think of stories from my life, stories friends have told me, historical events, anything really... I sat with the assignment for a few days before even putting pencil to paper to do sketches. Finally after a bit of a bad-feeling-blue sort of day, I finally came up with this:

I know, rather sad...

I wasn't entirely satisfied with the idea, nor with the art itself. At this point (week 6 or 7) I was trying out different ways of working and rendering final pieces and attempting to mix ink lines and paint. Again, not totally satisfied with the art, so I kept working. (Making more work for myself, as you will see over and over again, has become a bit of a recurring theme...)

After I finished that first set of three panels, I sat down at my drawing table to think and found a small unfinished doodle that I had been meaning to finish. Rather than give myself a headache, I sat down to play with the doodle and do some work solely for myself. When I had finished painting over my doodle, I realized that I had a character who was begging for a story.

So I gave her one:

5 comments:

Natalie said...

On the couch, was that Nicole and you?

Lisa Anchin said...

Nicole indeed... though it doesn't really look like her, and one of her legs is stuck on wrong. (Woo bad art!) Did she tell you that story?

c said...

great manhattan couch adventure of 2008? why do i not remember this?

Lisa Anchin said...

I can't remember if it was at the beginning of the summer or at the end... before we all left or when we all got back. But it was that afternoon/evening (because it took that long!) when Nicole and I carried the craigs-listed futon from Columbus all the way up past Morningside Park and back to the apartment.

Tina said...

Re: couch adventure. It looks like how I feel on Fridays after work!

Post a Comment

Thoughts, profundities, absurdities, random-tangents, non-sequiturs: